From KellyGang
Jump to: navigation, search

One of the original properties in the Kelly Country

Nearest towns

History at Omeo before the KellyGang

First taken up by overlanders from New South Wales in 1835-1836.

Omeo A was first taken up by John Pendergast who came from the Manaro in 1836/1837. He originally called it 'The Three Brothers'. John passed the run on to J and J Pendergast in the late 1850's

Omeo B was taken up by James McFarlane in 1835-36 as a cattle run(51,200 acres). It may have been the first in Victoria. The run was originally called 'Mount Pleasant'. The run was then held by W C Walker. In 1865 the run passed to William Degraves. In 1871 C and J Degraves sold the run to Wilson, Dougharty and Rhind.

Where did the name Omeo come from

Omeo or Omio means mountains

The original aboriginal owners

The first selectors



Original neighbouring properties

Hinno Mungy

What was Omeo like in the late 1870's

Mr Alfred Currie Wills was the gold warden for Omeo and on the Dargo (Argus16/8/60)

Links to the KellyGang

The KellyGang had relations living in Omeo (RC1393)

Rivers Creeks and Hills near Omeo

Omeo A is on Morass Creek to the east of Lake Omeo. Omeo B was on the western side of the lake

What happened at Omeo after the time of the Kelly Gang

What is happening at Omeo today