Wahgunyah

From KellyGang
Revision as of 13:50, 20 November 2015 by Admin (Talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "<sidebar><sidebar>MediaWiki:PlacesSidebar</sidebar></sidebar>" to "<sidebar>MediaWiki:PlacesSidebar</sidebar>")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country

Nearest towns
Rutherglen

History at Wahgunyah before the KellyGang

The cattle run was first taken up by John Foord and John Crisp in 1841.(30,000 acres) It was about 34,000 acres.John Crisp left the run to live in Wangaratta in 1851. John Foord's sister married Joseph Bould of Boorahman. John Foord developed much of the key buildings in the town of Wahgunyah. !!MISSING

On the Murray River north of Wangaratta.

By 1860 the run was owned by Read and Younger

see also the town of Wahgunyah

Where did the name Wahgunyah come from

Some think that the name could come from a comment by the local aboriginals when they say the white settlers house. Wah - big, Gunyah - a shelter

The original aboriginal owners

It is thought that the area was occupied by the Whroo of the Kwat Kwat. They had a camp at Lake Moodemere or Bulgeaba.

The first selectors

The towns of Wahgunyah, Rutherglen and Chiltern were founded on the area of the run.

Photograph

Map

Original neighbouring properties

North
Murray River
South
Lilliput
West
Brimin
East
Cooramadda

What was Wahgunyah like in the late 1870's

Much of Wahgunyah had been selected by this time

Outbreak of pleuro pneumonia in the area (Argus1/12/79)

Links to the KellyGang

The KellyGang knew the area of Wahgunyah well

Rivers Creeks and Hills near Wahgunyah

Lake Moodemere was on the property. Black Dog Creek

What happened at Wahgunyah after the time of the KellyGang

What is happening at Wahgunyah today