Last modified on 20 November 2015, at 05:40

Whitfield

One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country

Nearest towns
Mansfield

History at Whitfield before the KellyGang

Where did the name Whitfield come from

Could come from the white flowers that covered the counrty

Whitefield was originally taken up by William Clarke (95,520 acres). John Evans owned it in 1840 and it was still operated by the Evans family in the late 1870's

The original aboriginal owners

The first selectors

Photograph

Map

Original neighbouring properties

North
Fifteen Mile Creek
South
Glenmore
West
Edi

What was Whitfield like in the late 1870's

The first formal school was opened in 1875. It was made of bark and linked to the school at Edi.

Links to the KellyGang

Daniel Morgan made a raid on Whitfield in 1860. He returned in 1865 when he set fire to a hay stack before holding up the place and taking the owner.

John Evans employed Ned Kelly in about 1874.

It is said that Ned Kelly rode his horse down the hallway of the Mountain View Hotel.

After the Wombat Murders, on 29/10/1878 Sgt Steele took a search party of police, including Const Faulkiner and Fitzpatrick, out after the KellyGang. They spent a night at Whitfield. (RC12977)

Rivers Creeks and Hills near Whitfield

Whitield is on the King River

What happened at Whitfield after the time of the KellyGang

See (Argus13/9/83)

Victoria's first narrow-gauge railway from Wangaratta to Whitfield was once the main form of transportation into the valley and used to take timber out of the area.

The station platforms along the line were at Docker, Byrne, Angleside and Claremont.

What is happening at Whitfield today

See also Graham Jones, Memories of Oxley