- 1 One of the original properties in the Kelly Country
- 2 History at Gundowring before the KellyGang
- 3 What was Gundowring like in the late 1870's
- 4 Links to the KellyGang
- 5 Rivers Creeks and Hills near Gundowring
- 6 What happened at Gundowring after the time of the Kelly Gang
- 7 What is happening at Gundowring today
One of the original properties in the Kelly Country
- Nearest towns
History at Gundowring before the KellyGang
First taken up in 1838 by Charles Barber an overlander from New South Wales. The original run (18,520 acres) was taken up by Isabella Barber her maiden name was Miss Isabella Hume the daughter of Andrew Hamiliton Hume, Commissary General of Australia, and she was the only sister of Hamiliton Hume the explorer.
The Gundowring run was from the outset run by his son, Charles Henry Barber [later Barbour] who first resided on the run as an eighteen year old in 1838. George Barber drowned in a flooded creek in 1844 and in 1845, Isabella Barber became the nominal proprietor of the run. In the same year, Charles Henry Barber married his first cousin, Mary Hume, a daughter of Elizabeth Hume who had acquired the nearby Yarroweya [later Yarrawonga] run on the Murray following the murder of her first husband by bushrangers in 1840.
Charles Henry Barber initially lived in a bark hut at Gundowring. After some years, Barber constructed the large brick homestead which still stands on the property. The date of construction of the house has not been established but the appearance of the house suggests a 1850s-1860s construction date. By 1857, Charles Henry Barbour had assumed ownership of the property which he held until his death in 1882.
In 1876 the license was held by Charles Henry Barber, ? acres , the half yearly license fee was £46 17 6
Where did the name Gundowring come from
"gundowringla" meaning a camp.
The original aboriginal owners
The first selectors
M Hession, 75a 2r 30p (OMA20/2/1879)
Original neighbouring properties
What was Gundowring like in the late 1870's
See a description of the property in March 1879 (Argus6/3/79)
Links to the KellyGang
In about February 1879 Det Ward received was from a Chinaman named Ah Man. He told Ward that he saw the KellyGang at Gundowring. Ah Man said he knew, Joe Byrne very well, as he often had rice with him. (RC13848)
Rivers Creeks and Hills near Gundowring
On the Kiewa River
What happened at Gundowring after the time of the Kelly Gang
What is happening at Gundowring today
The Gundowring Homestead sill stands. It is Victorian Heritage listed. It is currently owned by the Crookes family, who run a dairy farm and make Gundowring Icecream (very nice!). Contact them at