From KellyGang
Jump to: navigation, search

One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country

Nearest towns


On the northern bank of the River Muaary

History at Moira before the KellyGang

First taken up by Lewes for Edward Curr (36,000 acres). M'Kenzie, the Hugh Glass owned the run

Purchased in 1860 by M O'Shannesy (T&C1/6/1872)

Mr O'Shanassy had the run in 1873 (Ensign23/1/1874)

Upper Moira licensed to Henry Shepherd Smith, 39,000 acres in 1876, £165 half year license fee

Lower Moira licensed to RH Kinnear 62,110 acres in 1876, £186 half year license fee

Sold to FS Falkiner and Sons in 1899

Where did the name Moira come from

The original aboriginal owners

The first selectors

The squatter had problems with a number of the selectors (Ensign23/1/1874) (Ensign3/2/1874)



Original neighbouring properties



What was Moira like in the late 1870's

Hear what a visitor had to say about the area (Illustrated16/2/1880)

A coach stop on the route from Deniliquin to Echuca (T&C8/76/1872)

Links to the KellyGang

Rivers Creeks and Hills near Moira

On Murray River

Have you visited

What to see

What happened at Moira after the time of the Kelly Gang

What is happening at Moira today

The eastern side of Moira is now known as the Barmah State Forest