Ovens Crossing Place

From KellyGang
Jump to: navigation, search

One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country

Nearest towns

History at Ovens Crossing Place before the KellyGang

First permanent settler was William Clark but there may have been a homestead at Waldara since 1838. (16,000 acres)

The first settler at the actual crossing site was Thomas Rattray who established a sly grog shop and a punt service adjacent the southern riverbank in 1838. The following year the enterprise was sold to William Clark. He built a slab-timber store with a bark roof . He later built a larger and better structure which served as the Hope Inn.

In 1876 the license was owned by William Newcomen, ? acres', £11/5 license fee half year

The original aboriginal owners
Site of Wangaratta



Original neighbouring properties

Bontherambo Plains

What was Ovens Crossing Place like in the late 1870's

Links to the KellyGang

By the time of the KellyGang Ovens Crossing Place had been taken over by the town of Wangaratta and selectors

Rivers Creeks and Hills near Ovens Crossing Place

What happened at Ovens Crossing Place after the time of the Kelly Gang

What is happening at Ovens Crossing Place today

A large part of the property is now covered by the city of Wangaratta.