- 1 One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country
- 2 History at Towong before the KellyGang
- 3 What was Towong like in the late 1870's
- 4 Links to the KellyGang
- 5 Rivers Creeks and Hills near Towong
- 6 What happened at Towong after the time of the KellyGang
- 7 What is happening at Towong today
One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country
- Nearest towns
History at Towong before the KellyGang
On the Murray River east of Corryong and opposite Bringembrong
First taken up in 1838 by Richard and William Guise. In 1845 William's widow took over the lease and in about 1848 she was shown as Mrs Eliza Alleyne.
William's son Richard married Eliza Reace and made Towong his home at the age of 22 .
During 1844 he was drowned crossing the Little river [Goobarragandra] which was in flood. He was taking horses \ cattle to Gundaroo when the floods struck. His wife and children where stranded on the roof of their homestead at Towong for several days during the downpour which ended the drought which started in 1836. Richard was buried at Little River where he died and in 1845 was exhumed and placed in the family crypt in Canberra.
The Guise family where based out of the Gundaroo [Jerribiggery] and Bywong districts on the Yass River near Lake George from around 1824.
Prior to the Towong, Walwa, Khancoban, Borambola, Cunningdroo and Mannus runs they used to push the stock down on the other side to Beloka near Jindabyne in the late 1820's and early 1830's.
The drought had caused the Murrumbidgee to cease running and Lake George to dry up, this may have led to the Guises taking up the runs on the Murray.
In 1853 the run was owned by Matthew Hervey but by 1857 the records show that Thomas W Elliott managed the run for Mrs Bowen Jones. In 1865 Mrs Jones sold the lease to James Finlay
Where did the name Towong come from
The original aboriginal owners
The first selectors
The town of Towong which was surveyed in 1861 and land was sold to selectors in 1867.
David Waller (Argus20/3/79)
Original neighbouring properties
What was Towong like in the late 1870's
The first buildings were not erected until about 1867.
The Towong turf racing club was established in 1871.
The race course had a large grandstand
The Land Commission went to Towong. (Argus20/3/79)
Links to the KellyGang
On about 7/2/1879 Michael Woodward suggested that the KellyGang may have been going to Duncan Macgennis's, the drover, who lives at Towong. It would seem that the KellyGang may have had dealings with Duncan before (RC App13)
It is thought that the KellyGang passed near Towong on their way to rob Jerilderie (OMA13/2/1879)
Rivers Creeks and Hills near Towong
What happened at Towong after the time of the KellyGang
What is happening at Towong today