- 1 One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country
- 2 History at Whitfield before the KellyGang
- 3 What was Whitfield like in the late 1870's
- 4 Links to the KellyGang
- 5 Rivers Creeks and Hills near Whitfield
- 6 What happened at Whitfield after the time of the KellyGang
- 7 What is happening at Whitfield today
One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country
- Nearest towns
History at Whitfield before the KellyGang
Where did the name Whitfield come from
Could come from the white flowers that covered the counrty
Whitefield was originally taken up by William Clarke (95,520 acres). John Evans owned it in 1840 and it was still operated by the Evans family in the late 1870's
The original aboriginal owners
The first selectors
Original neighbouring properties
What was Whitfield like in the late 1870's
The first formal school was opened in 1875. It was made of bark and linked to the school at Edi.
Links to the KellyGang
Daniel Morgan made a raid on Whitfield in 1860. He returned in 1865 when he set fire to a hay stack before holding up the place and taking the owner.
John Evans employed Ned Kelly in about 1874.
It is said that Ned Kelly rode his horse down the hallway of the Mountain View Hotel.
Rivers Creeks and Hills near Whitfield
Whitield is on the King River
What happened at Whitfield after the time of the KellyGang
Victoria's first narrow-gauge railway from Wangaratta to Whitfield was once the main form of transportation into the valley and used to take timber out of the area.
The station platforms along the line were at Docker, Byrne, Angleside and Claremont.
What is happening at Whitfield today
See also Graham Jones, Memories of Oxley