- 1 Wodonga, the squatting run
- 2 One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country
- 3 History at Wodonga before the KellyGang
- 4 What was Wodonga like in the late 1870's
- 5 Links to the KellyGang
- 6 Rivers Creeks and Hills near Wodonga
- 7 What happened at Wodonga after the time of the KellyGang
- 8 What is happening at Wodonga today
Wodonga, the squatting run
...a place in the
One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country
- Nearest towns
History at Wodonga before the KellyGang
In 1876 the license was held by William Huon, ? acres, license fee half year £80
Where did the name Wodonga come from
Wodonga, Woodonga or Woodanga; an edible plant (bull rushes) growing in a lagoon.
The original aboriginal owners
The first selectors
William Huon, the first manager died and was replaced by Charles Huon in 1846. In 1850 Paul Huon took over the lease. In the 1860s large areas of the original run were taken up by selectors, but by 1879 a William Huon still held the lease.
William Houn built his home Belvoir in 1836
Original neighbouring properties
What was Wodonga like in the late 1870's
The Huon family had built the old Carkeek House, Cambourne (the first house was called Belvoir, it later became the Fig Tree Hotel- later burnt down)
Up until about 1870 the town of Wodonga was known as 'Belvoir'
De Kerillien was the home of William Huon (T&C27/4/1872)
Links to the KellyGang
The KellyGang rode all over Wodonga and probably helped themselves to the occassional ...
Rivers Creeks and Hills near Wodonga
On the southern bank of the Murray .
What happened at Wodonga after the time of the KellyGang
What is happening at Wodonga today