Ned Kelly

From KellyGang
Revision as of 20:54, 20 November 2015 by Admin (Talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "== == . " to "")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Side of KellyGang
This page contains content from people who supported the KellyGang.
The Story of the Kelly Gang 1906.jpg

Ned Kelly was the leader of the KellyGang. 'As game as Ned Kelly' is a common Australian saying

Links to the KellyGang below , Early Years , Teenage years and Harry Power , First run in with the law , 1st Fitzpatrick Incident , The Fitzpatrick Incident , Gold Mining , Deaths at Stringy Bark Creek, Escape North, Euroa Robbery, Mass arrest of sympathizers , Jerilderie Robbery , Later in 1879 , Early in 1880 , Death of Aaron Sherritt , Glenrowan Siege , Ned Kelly's Trial , Execution , Royal Commission , Family ,


parents John (Red) Kelly and Ellen Kelly brothers and sisters Mary Jane, Anne (53), Margaret (Maggie) 55?, James 59, Daniel (Dan) 61, Catherine (Kate) 63, Grace 8/65, half brother and sisters Ellen 74 , John 75 and Alice 78 Uncles ... aunts ...

I was described as being 5ft. 10in. high, medium build, has a fresh complexion, dark- brown hair, and hazel eyes (Argus28/10/78)


Links to the KellyGang

Early years I was born in a farm on the side of Big Hill near Beveridge in December 1854*

In 1859 I started at the Catholic school in Beveridge.

Anyone who saw me once could not mistake me. I shrugged my shoulders like my two uncles. (RC15515)

See also (CHC) (BWC) Teen age years and Harry Power In October 1869 I was working with William Skillion and William Gray on my mother's place. A Chinaman called Ah Fook said that I robbed him. I got off with the help of my mates.

The case came to court in Benalla on 26/10/69. Supt Nicolas procecuted. Ned Kelly gave his version and it was backed up by his two mates. He was not convicted.

In 1870 I may have been learning the bushranger business from Harry Power and I may have been with Harry when he stuck up Robert McBean at Kilfera in March. After a few more robberies with Power I was arrested at home by Nicolas as Power's accomplice in the offence against MacBean. I was brought to trial in Benalla in May 1870. That fell through for lack of evidence. (Argus13/5/70)

On the 25/5/1870 Power stuck up Mr John Murray, of Lauriston. I was arrested for the latter offence on the 4th of May, but escaped conviction owing to want of identification. Some people think that MacBean and Nicolson were trying to do a deal with Ned to get him to lead them to Power. While all this was going on I was held by the police on charges relating to a robbery at Kyneton until mid May when he was released and allowed to go home.

Soon after Harry Power was behind bars for 10 years for robbery, I then came under the police spot light for a number of matters.

First run ins with the law I was charged with as . First Fitzpatrick incident On 17 September 1877 I rode into Benalla and met up with a mate, a young policeman called Alex Fitzpatrick and some other friends. After a time I found that I had had rather too much to drink which was unusual for me. Just as I rode my horse over the footpath there appeared Fitzpatrick again and he arrested me for being drunk and riding on the footpath. I was put in the cells for the night.

In the morning Sgt Whelan joined by Constables Fitzpatrick, Lonigan, and Day escorted me to the court house from the police station cells. My 'friend' suggested that I should be handcuffed for this trip which I did not appreciate. I broke free and headed for King's boot makers shop. In the course of the attempted arrest in the shop Fitzpatrick endeavoured to catch me by the foot, and in the struggle he tore the sole and heel of my boot clean off. With one well directed blow I sent him sprawling against the wall. Those bastards tried to take my trousers off and Lonigan even blackballed me, grabbing me by the testicles.

Eventually I allowed William Magennis, the Justice of the Peace and local flour miller to handcuff me but I would not let those police have the honour.

The court accepted my side of events and I was fined 1 shilling or 4 hours imprisonment for being drunk and 2 pounds or 1 month for assaulting police and an additional 2 pounds or 1 month for resisting arrest. I also had to pay Fitzpatrick 5 shillings for damage to his clothing. I paid the fines and was reasonably satisfied with justice. Hear my version of this strot (Age9/8/80)

In the mid to late 1877 the police started to get the upper hand and while I was not caught a number of my good friends including my brother Dan, my cousins Tom and John Lloyd and William Cooke were all caught and I decided to give horses and cattle a miss.

I find it a bit of a laugh; Const Fitzpatrick said that he convinced me to give up to him Dan and Tom and John to him after the Goodman incident. (RC12873)

Where did I go and what did I see, shearing, the back of the Wombat ranges? Yes and no

On 15 March 1878 a warrant was issued for me on charges of horse stealing

. Fitzpatrick Incident at the Kelly Home 15/04/1878 Early in the day I sold a mare to Frank Harty of Winton and to Joseph Ryan in Lake Rowan.

Fitzpatrick came to the Kelly home to arrest Dan Kelly. After talking to my mother Mrs Kelly and my sister Kate for some time Dan arrived back home and asked Const Fitzpatrick if he could have dinner before they left home. It is suggested by some writers that during this time there may have been some disturbance, perhaps Fitzpatrick had made some advances towards Kate. Of course he did. There is also a suggestion that Mrs Kelly used a shovel. Of course she did not. She did not need to that sort of thing to protect her children from people like Fitzpatrick.

While I have always denied being at home it is suggested by most writers that I came in at about this time and fired a revolver at Fitzpatrick and hit him in the wrist. Fitzpatrick said that I offered to take the bullet out. Soon after this Fitzpatrick left soon after. He eventually, after further assistance from David Lindsay's brandy, reported that he had been shot by the Kellys.

Apart from my mother Mrs Kelly and Dan and I and our younger brothers and sister Brckey Williamson, the next door neighbour was present. Fitzpatrick also said that my sister Maggie's husband Bill Skillion, was present. Some writers suggest that Bill had been mistaken for Joe Byrne.

See my friend Fitzpatrick's verion, some of the reatest rubbish I ever heard. (RC12822)

See also (CHC) (BWC)

Hear my very own version of what happened (Age9/8/80) See also(Argus17/4/78) (Argus22/4/78)

On the 16/4/1878 the police issued a warrant for my arrest. Later my mother, brother in law Bill Skillion and Brickey Williamson were charged with the attempted murder of Fitzpatrick. They were sent to Goal for long periods. It was a total disgrace. I described what happened in the Jerilderie letter

The KellyGang set out my side of these events in the Cameron letter. I and Dan decided to go bush.

Did I take Nolan's saddle (Argus7/5/78)

Was I around Echuca? (Argus14/5/78)

. Gold mining and making whiskey near Stringy Bark Creek In April 1878 the government offered a £100 reward for my arrest. Dan had the same offer and the police started going through the hills after us.

Dan some of our other friends headed off for a base in the hills on Bullock Creek where we did some gold mining and made some whiskey and other things to stay out of mischief. Joe Byrne, Tom Lloyd and Steve Hart joined us from time when they got out of goal. The [[../../things/K_kellys/K_KellyGang.html|KellyGang]] was forming as a force.

Dan, Joe Byrne, Steve Hart and I, worked constantly mining for gold from April till October 1878. We lived in a log hut built years before by some previous prospectors on Kelly's Creek.(JJK)

On the 29/8/1878, Ward received information that I was seen about three weeks ago between the Woolshed and Sebastopol, in the Ovens district, riding and carrying a gun under my arm, with a revolver strapped on my saddle.It is well that we did not find out who sold us out. (RC3109)

Graves told the Royal Commission, ' For a series of years from Power's time they had a regular well-beaten track from Mansfield to cross, which was only used by themselves. A week hardly elapsed that I did not find in my paddocks either one of my horses ridden, or one of theirs left there and one of mine taken. The KellyGang had always relays of horses at those back country places, as you are not allowed to impound horses if they belong to neighbors, and there they would remain till they would come for them. They were always on the beaten track backwards and forwards to Mansfield.' (RC15554)

. Deaths at Stringy Bark Creek in the Wombat Rangers !!MISSING Sgt Kennedy had a photograph of me that was taken while I was in Pentridge Prison (Age9/8/80)

I had an old Enfield musket that was useful for shooting around corners. I have set out my version of events in the Cameron and Jerilderie letters. Const McIntyre survived our attempt to protect ourselves. The police had their version of the 'truth' and they 'used' it at my trial. See also (CHC)

On 25 October 1878 I had been to Table Top and the Bogs and Emu and on my way back to Bullock Creek I came cross the tracks of a police party.

One of the police fired at some parrots during the afternoon of Saturday 26/10/1878 so we knew that other people were in the area. The police were camped on Stringy Bark Creek less a mile and a half south east from our camp on Kellys Creek. This is what we had to say in the Cameron Letter:

'...found police camped at the Shingle Hut with long fire arms and we came to the conclusion our doom was sealed unless we could take their fire-arms, as we had nothing but a gun and a rifle if they came on us at our work or camp. We had no chance only to die like dogs as we thought the country was woven with police and we might have a chance of fighting them if we had firearms, as it generally takes 40 to one.' (CHC)

The rest of the story of this incident is really the story of what happened at Stringy Bark Creek,

See the description of me that appeared in the paper. (Age30/10/78)

How did McIntyre identify me (Argus9/8/80)

What sort of discussion did I have with McIntyre (Argus30/10/78)

Stephens told my hearing of what I told him at Faithfuls Creek (Argus10/8/80)

Did I tell the press about what happened to Sgt Kennedy (Argus13/12/78) (Argus14/12/78)

. Escape north On 30/10/1878 Parliament in Melbourne passed the Felons Apprehension Act. That turned us into outlaws. The police now had authority to shoot us on sight. They did not need an act of Parliament to do that. We had gone from being persecuted small selectors and ordinary people to public enemy number one for being concerned about Mother and trying to stand up for our selves. That is good government in this British colony of Victoria.

We managed to escape drowning in the River Murray and eventually escaped to a nice life on one of the squatter's stations near home. Let the police find us. They could no matter how hard they tried. We had time to spend with our friends and plan for the future.

See text of the warrant they issued (CHC)

. Euroa Robbery 10/12/1878 We needed money and we needed to do something for our friends. The banks had money and they had mortgages that sapped the pride of our friends.

After a lot of planning we headed off to Faithfull's Creek Station. There we first met the Mr and Mrs Fitzgerald. She has given a good account of our first meeting. We then took all those who came to the station into custody including Mr Casement and his party and Mr Gloster, the hawker.

On the afternoon of 11/12/78 Dan and Steve Hart and I went into Euroa and robbed the bank. We returned with Mr Scott and his family. They give a good account as to what happened and what I did. See also (CHC)

Soon after they arrived back at Faithfull's Creek Station we had the ladies locked in the homestead and all the rest except Mr McCauley locked in the out buildings. I then told Mr McCauley that he should wait for at least 3 hours before he let the people out or sort any assistance. Of course we had our friends amongst the captives.

See also (Argus12/12/78) (SMH12/12/78) (FH)

Description of my horse. (Argus12/12/78)

WE recieved some very bad press (Argus16/12/78)

. Jerilderie Robbery 10/2/1879 About midnight on Friday the 8th of February 1879, we the KellyGang surrounded the Jerilderie police station, which was all in darkness, the constables having retired to their beds, when they were awoke by some one calling out- "Constable Devine, there is a drunken man at Davidson's hotel in the township who has committed a murder. Get up at once all of you." Constable Richards came outside and he was followed immediately by Devine. They were both undressed and unarmed. I told them there was a great row in the township, and after conversing with them for some time, to make sure there were no other constables inside. I then presented two revolvers at Devine's head, Joe Byrne did the same to Constable Richards. We them got the keys of the lock-up, took the two policemen and locked them in their own watch-house. I then went into the police station, secured all the firearms, made the constable's wife and family go into one room, and placed Steve Hart as sentry over them. We then made themselves as comfortable, leaving one on sentry until daylight on Sunday morning. See also (Argus12/2/79) (SMH12/2/79)

Later in the day we all went into town, to the Royal Hotel where we introduced ourselves to the publican Mr Cox. I positioned the others around the hotel and secured the town.

Before we said good bye to the people of Jerilderie gathered in the hotel I explained to them who we were and why we had done what we had done. The banks store squatters and other rich peoples money and take land from poor farmers. The police only protect the interests of the wealthy. I also explained that on the occasion when Constable Fitzpatrick was wounded, he was not within 400 miles of his mother's place. I admitted that we had stolen 400 horses from Mr. Whilty's run at various times and he sold them, but explained that beyond that, up to the time we shot the police at the Wombat, we had not been guilty of any other crime. People were interested in our exploits and I showed those present my revolvers, and pointed out one which I got from Constable Lonigan. The musket which I shot Lonigan with was an old worn-out crooked thing.

Please see Dan Kelly for the story of the KellyGang in Jerilderie. See also (FH) (CHC)

At about this time I dropped in to see old Mrs Sherritt. This was after Mrs Byrne stopped Aaron from seeing Kate Byrne. We were concerned that Aaron Sherritt was travelling with the police and not being entirely frank with us. I picked up one Mrs Sherritt's children and gave it a cuddle. I think that gave old Mrs Sherritt a fright. This was perhaps the last time we tried to get Aaron on our side.(RC13166)

Did I go to have a good time in Melbourne (BWC) Did I give the press an interview? (OMA13/4/79)

James Wallace alledged that I stoled a saddle from him (RC14441) (RC14516)

. Later in 1879 As the year went by we had to think about what to do next. We could not live off our friends for ever. Joe Byrne sets out many of these issues and Steve Hart will explain a bit about what we were doing at this time.

We were supported by our sisters, Maggie and Kate in the country near home. They did a lot of cooking and baked us great bread so that we did not need to light a fire. They also risked their lives and the future of our young brothers and sisters as they rode through the police who tried to follow.

Joe's mother also gave us wonderful support. We had a way over the old gold workings to her place which meant that we could get there without being seen by the police.

I wrote to Mr Gill. (Argus5/7/79)

Was I ill (Argus26/7/79)

They thought that I had caught a ship from Adelaide (Argus29/8/79) (Argus30/8/79)

One day I got an offer from George Scott, perhaps better known as Captain Moonlite. He had recently been released from Gaol and thought he could use our skills and wanted to team up with us. I knew his reputation from friends in Pentridge so I told him to stay out of the Kelly Country.

I had a meeting with a friend? (Argus20/11/79)

Did I ever go to New Zealand (Alexandra26/12/1879)

. Early in 1880 You ask me whether the KellyGang still existed

You ask me why had we hidden in our faces in the dirt, dust and mud.

You ask me what was I doing about my Mother and other people who are dear to me and who were in gaol because of me

Can't u thrust u friends Mr Kelly

What happened to all the money Mr Kelly

When are we going to see you again Mr Kelly?

Steve Hart and my brother Dan were getting bored. Joe went through mood swings from a frenzy of thought and planning to private despair without hope for our future. In the last few years I have done a lot of thinking. Every one knows about Ned Kelly. Some how we have even become an Australian icon. People now take pride in the fact their great grandfather saw me once or even better exchanged a few words with me. Others who share our story are descended from people who tired to destroy us with less care than they would shown to a slug under foot. They even go to Champaign sipping functions in our memory and look in awe at things like our armour.

Where did the idea for the armour come from?

Who made my armour; a friend in the Strathbogie Ranges (Herald3/7/80)

Why of all the bush rangers and all the selectors have we been treated this way. While it was hard for us at the time, I would trade all my fame for the pain that was to come. Nothing can make up the death of my 3 three good friends at hands of the enemy or my own death at the end of their rope.

People were right; we could not just sit around, we had to do something. Sneaking through the bush as outlaws had no future. If nothing less, a life on the run was not a good basis for a relationship. Ladies unfortunately have a more practical approach, they even ask questions about a future. Children are really the only to remain immortal, generation after generation.

We had stolen some cattle and horses, stuck up the banks at Euroa and Jerilderie and dragged police officers all over the place as they sort to find us. I suppose that we could have robbed banks and taken pocket books from people on the highway as my old friend Harry Power had done, but I did not embark on this path to be a common criminal. There is no future in that. People need to be uplifted by the things that you do. I could not ask my friends to risk their homes and families for low crime that would drive us further into the dust. Euroa and Jerilderie worked well, they worked as good theatre as they were productive.

What we needed was an event that would astonish the world. Something that would ensure my Mother's freedom and I lift the Out Lawry Act so that we could ride free with our heads held high. Some people would have had us split up, other suggested that we should go to some other colony and deny our names. All these were short term solutions that may have satisfied Steve Hart or my brother Dan. Joe Byrne understood and he was prepared to work out the detail of any plan.

Joe Byrne was keen on the idea that we take over the train that brought the gold from Beechworth. I was concerned that we needed to more than just commit another robber. Max Brown in his book tells a story of one of the ideas we spent some time thinking about. The newspapers told the story of the Governor of New South Wales, a man called Sir Hercules Robinson had pardoned Ben Hall's mate, Gardiner, on condition he leave the colony. If we could take the Governor of Victoria, a man with one of those names that would only befit an English, 'His Excellency the Governor, Lord Normanby'. He used to spend time at his summer holiday home at Mt Macedon. We had the idea that it would be good to lay before him over a bottle of three-star brandy in the hills the justice of our cause and the mutual advantage of a little bloodless reciprocity.

The beginnings of the plan we finally settled upon was based upon the suffering of all our friends who were trying to make a living despite all the good land being stolen by the squatters and the police enforcing justice in support of the wealthy. We saw from our reading of the that Mr Berry's Government in Melbourne were split between squatter and selector, free spirited people such as ourselves of an Irish Catholic background might have a chance to establish a free country in the great south land. All they needed was a bit assistance. If we could lower the flag of the police the English pride of the squatters would give them little protection against a just society.

The plan for Glenrowan gave all our friends a chance to make a difference. All we had to do was to act out our part. Once we had agreed upon this idea we started the massive task of getting all our friends behind the plan.

Death of Aaron Sherritt 26/6/1880 I was at Glenrowan at the time . Glenrowan Siege 28/6/1880 Arrive in Town

See also (Argus29/6/80) (FH)

Soon after Steve Hart and I arrived in town on the evening of the 26/6/1880 we set up our base at McDonell's hotel. A bit later we visted Reardon and the platelayers to get them to lift the railway line. Our attempts was not entirely successful at the start and we obtained further assistance from Mr Stanistreet, the station master. He gave a statement that gives a version of what happened.

I visited Mr and Mrs McDonnell in bed. We got on well with them. My code name was 'Jack Hoyle'. (Herald29/6/80)

Just before lunch on 27/6/1880 I had a conversation with Mr Curnow and his family while they going for a drive (RC17598)

My horse

My mare had recently been shod just before Glenrowan. The mare, is a beautiful animal, and is the property of Mr Michael Ryan of the Major Plains. She was stolen from him, with other horses found in McDonald's stables on Tuesday morning. The mare is by Hermit and is a very fine jumper as also is the chestnut horse which Byrne rode. (When did Ned Kelly get her) (Age1/7/80)

My saddle was made by Bullivant from Wangaratta. (SMH30/6/80)

Sunday night and Monday morning

What was I doing? Mrs Reardon said that for most part of Sunday night I was not in sight at all-only when we were having a dance. She believe that we were playing cards with Mrs Jones in the little parlour.(RC10542) see also (FH)

I also took Const Bracken down to Jones Hotel. As we went down there we chatted about politics (Argus30/6/80)

Did I abandon the idea of wrecking the train because of the large number of civilians on the train and have a fight with the police in Glenrowan? (BWC)

Just before the train arrived Dan Kelly told the people could go home and Mrs. Jones at the door and said, "You are not to go yet; Ned Kelly is to give you a lecture yet," Soon after this we heard the train. (RC7627)

The arrival of Sup Hare and his police at Glenrowan and the start of the fight

We the KellyGang heard the train arriving and moved quickly to put our armour on at about 2.30 am on 28/6/1880. We gathered on the verandah of the Inn to face our foes. As soon as we could see them coming to shoot us we opened fire. I was shot in that opening exchange. See also (DailyTele29/6/80) (FH)

It was clear that the police wanted to surround the Inn and kill us.

The doctor stated in a sworn statement that the wound in my left arm was caused by a pellet from a shot gun and that must have been fired by the gun of Mr Hare or Constable Canny. (RC8393)

The first brush was exceedingly hot. We and the police blazed away at each other furiously in the darkness. This exchange lasted for about a quarter of an hour, and during that time there was nothing but a succession of flashes and reports, the pinging of bullets in the air. The police did not care about the shrieks of women who had been made prisoners in the Inn.(Argus 29/6/80) Was I shot by SConst Kelly? (Age1/7/80)

I called on the boys to follow me out of the Inn, but Joe Byrne would not follow me (RC10576)

Hear about my last conversayion with Joe Byrne (RC17786)

Did I shoot Martin Cherry (Argus2/7/80). Proof that I could not have (Herald3/7/80) (Herald3/7/80)

Off to see the sympathizers

After the initial battle with the police I went down to where we had broken the railway tracks. The fight we had at Jones's Iinn was not their fight. See also (RC11315) and (Age4/8/80)

Before daylight SConst Kelly found my revolving rifle and skull cap lying in the bush, about 100 yards from the hotel. The rifle was covered with blood and the cap was full of blood.(Argus29/6/80)

I went down to the place where we had taken up the railway line to see our supporters. After I told them to go home and then returned to help the rest of the KellyGang in the Inn.

Where did I go and who did I see? (BWC) Others say that I went to see my sympathizers.

My capture

At about 7am I approached the Inn from the northern side. I was dressed in a white mackintosh oil skin coat that came down to my heels with my armour on underneath. Some police said that they thought that I looked like the devil. Others said that I was a mad man with a nail can on my head. After a time some of the police who were gathered around the Inn and firing at me worked out who I was and they determined to capture or even kill me. As I moved from tree to tree, and received the fire of the police. Const Arthur was the first. While my armour protected my upper body they shot me in the legs. I returned fire with my revolver but I could not keep these murderers away. They fired at me persistently. see also (Argus29/2/80) (OMA1/7/80) (Argust2/7/80) (Argus5/7/80) (Argus11/8/80) (RC10043) (FH) (JJK)

Sgt Steele, SConst Kelly and Dowsett went for me near a fallen tree about 75 metres from the Inn and the rest of the KellyGang. Sgt Steele shot me in the legs and he would have killed me if he had been stopped by the others. I had been shot in the left foot, left leg, right hand, left arm, and twice in the region of the groin. No bullet penetrated my armour. (Argus29/6/80)

They got me in the fork of a fallen tree. Dowsett was at the butt of it, about twelve yards off. Steele was up on the left hand side, and SConst Kelly was then twenty or thirty yards on the right hand side. (RC10971) Const Dywer kicked me.

The police took my armour off me and they carried me down to the railway station and placed in a guard's van. Later I was removed to the stationmaster's office, and my wounds were dressed by Dr Nicholson, of Benalla.

I had a revolver that had "Sydney" on it, as if it belonged to New South Wales or something. It was plated at the side. (RC14015) Was this the one that Marsden got?

Dowsett took a revolver off me when they captured me. On the hilt there is "N.S.W.G.," meaning. "New South Wales Government." I said afterwards that it was one that I took at Jerilderie.It was covered in blood. (RC10926)

He also got a mustard tin that I had stuffed full of cartridges. (RC10931)

I was given brandy (McPhee)

SConst Kelly Dr Nicholson carried my armour down to the railway station after I was captured. SConst Kelly told me about finding my rifle and I told him that I was shot by Hare in the arm and foot in the first volley (RC8263) (RC6268)

Sadlier reported that I, from my appearance in the imperfect light, looked like some unearthly being, on whom bullets had no effect. He also alleged that I shot Martin Cherry (RC 2880)

Dowsett, SConst Kelly, Marsden, Sgt Steele and gave their accounts on how they captured me and what I did at the time. See also (BWC)

See also (RC10349)

Reportedly, during my arrest, Const Milne got one of my boots as a keepsake.  See (Argus30/6/80) for other description of my clothing and personal effects

Hear the story of my sash. (JJK)

In police custody

At first I was taken down to the railway platform, but after a few bullets came too close. After I had been in the guard's van some time, by the advice of Dr Nicholson, I was taken to the station master's house and put him in a bunk there. McWhirter cut my boots off. My feet land hands were very cold, and I fainted two or three times.(RC10386)

Items found on me (SMH30/6/80)

Dr Hutchinson also saw me and made an assessment of my injuries (Argus2/7/80) (FH)

Sgt Steele looked over me most of the time I was in custody at Glenrowan. (RC10388)

He took my cartridge bag (BWC)

Sup Sadlier asked me to get the boys to give up (DailyTelegraph29/6/80) (Kilmore1/7/1880)

I had a conversation with Det Ward and we exchanged 'plesantaries' as they say (BWC)

Carrington drew me while I was lying in the van, and while I was in the station master's house. He also made drawings of the armour on the station (RC10047) What was I wearing (Argus5/7/80)

Interview with the family - overheard by the press

After the Hotel had been set on fire and Dan and Steve roasted like pig by the police, I was given a chance to have a chat with my sisters Maggie and Kate and Tom Wright. Of course it was not in private: The following is a summary of what happened.

My sisters gave me a kiss. By this time I had to some extent recovered from the exhaustion of my wounds. People said that at times my eyes were quite bright and that I was abled to talk rather freely. (Argus 29/6/80) (SMH30/6/80) (SMH2/7/80) (FH)

During the interview I stated that I was at last surrounded by the police and only had a revolver, with which I fired four shots. But it was no good. I had half a mind to shoot myself. Earlier I loaded my rifle, but I could not hold it after I was wounded. I had plenty of ammunition, but it was no good to me. I got shot in the arm, and told Byrne and Dan so I could have got off, but when I saw them all pounding away, I told Dan I would see it over, and wait until morning. (Argus29/6/80)

'What on earth induced you to go the hotel?' inquired a spectator.

I replied 'We could not do it anywhere else.' 'I would, have fought them in the train, or else upset it if I had the chance. I didn't care a - who was in it, but I knew on Sunday morning there would be no usual passengers. I first tackled the line, and could not pull it up, and then came to Glenrowan station.'

Some one in the crowd asked, 'since the Jerilderie affair, we thought you had gone to Queensland.' I replied 'It would not do for everyone to think the same way' The interview continued .... (Argus 29/6/80)


After Glenrowan

When the siege was over Com Standish ordered that I be brought down to Benalla and put in the lockup overnight. My dear Catherine followed me down to Benalla. (Herald29/6/80) (SMH30/6/80) While in the cells in Benalla SConst Kelly had a chat with me (Argus30/6/80) Report on my health (Herald) I also had a chat with Const McIntyre. (Argus11/8/80)


The next day ,29/6/1880, I was taken down to Melbourne in a special carriage by the afternoon train.(RC77)

Leaving Benalla (SMH30/6/80)

On Insp Baber escorted me to Melbourne with Const Armstrong and constables. I asked, "Was SConst Johnson in the hut when Sherritt was shot?" I said, "No; why do you ask me that, Ned?" He asked me if I tortured Sherritt. He said, "What men were there?" .. "To have gone out in you light would have been foolhardy; you would have all been shot but one. It was not our game to shoot you all. We wanted one man to go in and draw the police away from the barracks." (RC12214) (Argus30/6/80)

My medical condition on admission to Gaol (OMA1/7/80)

After a great reception at the railway station I was eventually taken to the Melbourne Gaol where I eventually had by wounds looked at in some detail. The details of that time are recorded in the records of the Goal. (Argus30/6/80) (MDTel1/7/80)

A little later the gaol authorities allowed me a meeting with my poor dear mother who was in the women's part of the same establishment. It was the first time I had seen her since the trouble with Const Fitzpatrick.

In the Melbourne Gaol I was carefully watched by a warder and on 30/6/80 I was visited by Dr Shields. He produced an official report (Argus30/6/80)

Although I continue to suffer very great plain from my wounds I am progressing favourably, and the police doctor thinks that I am 'out of danger' - in this place!. I dont think so. (Age1/7/80)

Ramsay the Chief Secretary came to gloat at me while I was in Gaol (MDtel3/7/1880)

Did they find one of my weapons (OMA24/7/1880)


Ned Kelly's trial

By late July I was declared by Dr Shields, at the Melbourne Jail, to be fit enough to be sent to Beechworth to attend my commital hearing. They had just fixed me up so they could have their fun that led to my return to this gaol and my death. (Argus2/8/80)

On 1/8/1880 I was taken by wagonette from Melbourne Gaol to the Newmarket Station and put on a train under the care of the senoir police officer they call Sgt Steele and Consts Bracken and Fulkiner. The police tried to pump me on the trip north but I was not prepared to just chat. On the way north I pointed out that I was born near Donnybrook. At Euroa I remarked that while Mr Scott was hard to get on with I did not have any trouble with Mrs Scott.

I said if I had a tail (that is, a Chinaman's tail) I would go home to China, as one Chinaman was worth all the Europeans. I would rather trust my life to them than any European living. (RC5488)

I wore a pilot cloth coat checked waistcoat, and corduroy trousers (Age2/8/80)

I passed through Glenrowan with a heavy heart as I remembered my friends. But to stop myself from talking and take away the pain I sang most of the way to Beecworth, 'The brave KellyGang'

'We have mates where'ev we go

That somehow let us know

The approach of every foe

to the brave KellyGang' (RC5497)

As we passed the Warby Ranges remarked 'The idea of Sup Hare, being a picked man, being sent up to catch me. I can tell you every place his party camped in the Warby Ranges, and who used to get up the horses'.

I asked what was Nicolson doing at Benalla, pulling my friends into his office, and giving them money to do the lazy police officer's work. The Government could have given them all the money they possess, and then they would not have sold me. (RC5489) (RC1287) (Age4/8/80)

I also had a swipe at Ass Com Nicolson. I accused him of pulling my friends into his office, and giving them money was a lazy mans way of working. The Government could have given them all the money they possess, and then they would not have sold me. (RC5491)

When the train got to Beechworth I was hurried into a cab and taken past the post office and court house up the Gaol the new iron gates had been installed to replace the wooden gates, just for me.

While I was in Beechworth Gaol awaiting from the committal hearing I gave a press interview (Age9/8/80) . No I did not give an interview to the Age (Argus10/8/80) (Argus11/8/80)

and saw Mr Gaunson. (Argus6/8/80)

Hear what happened at my committal and Trial.

What did I wear to my committal hearing?(Herald8/8/1880) (Argus9/8/80)

I was strip searched every afternoon when I got back to gaol. The fear was that I might have been given something by my family (Herald11/8/1880)

My lady friend (SMH10/8/80) (Herald11/8/1880)

Did Jullian Ashton draw me (SMH25/1/1934)

At the end of my committal hearing, on 12/8/1880 I was taken by wagon from Beechworth to Wangaratta where a train took me to Melbourne and back to the Melbourne Goal. (Age13/8/80) (Herald13/8/1880) (OMA14/8/1880)

My health (Herald14/8/1880)

There are many reports of me enjoying the pretty girls who came to see the committal hearing in Beechworth and my trail in Melbourne. Those reports also tell of me being depressed and disinterested from time to time and of my other emotions. I think I could have done a better job myself. At one point I even tried to run the case. They wanted to defend me in accordance with the normal rules of the legal system.

As an example of the way I was treated read Mr Gaunson's affidavit before my trial. (Age16/10/80)

See also my Trial for the next part of my story.

From all that has happened to me I knew that I was not going to get off. I did not want to seek their justice. All I wanted was an opportunity to present my side of the story. I was denied that at every turn. I never recieved even an indication that the Cameron letter was read and the Jerilderie letter sat in obscurity before it became a historic relic that is of no use to me.

What did my counsel have to say in my defence (Age30/10/80)

What did I say (Age30/10/80)

After the jury found me guilty I was eventually asked if I had anything to say. Can you believe it. This is what they call justice. (Argus30/11/80)

After I was sentenced a large protest meeting was held at the Hippodrome in Melbourne. (JJK)


Execution and after

My execution at the Melbourne Gaol on 11/11/1880 was a great affair. They turned it into a public spectical with an official list of witnesses and all. (SMH12/11/80)

What happened to my armour (Argus22/9/1919)

My grave (JJK) See also (Argus13/4/1929)

My body was handed over to my family 10/11/2011