From KellyGang
Jump to: navigation, search

EEnjoy ...

One of the original properties in the Kelly Country

Nearest towns




History at Adjie before the KellyGang

First taken up by overlanders from New South Wales in 1839. The name can also be spelt Adgie. It was later called Colac Colac. First taken up by JJ Howell and the Hassall brothers. (12.800 acres) Later the property was owned by the Hervey brothers and Joseph Hanson and James Wheeler,

(James Wheeler's father was Charles Wheeler (alias Walker) who was a convict transported for the theif of a heifer in 1812 (He was tried at the Old Bailey). He arrived in Sydney in 1813 aboard the Fortune (2) and resided in Cawdor and later Cobbitty NSW.

James Wheeler was born in 1831 (at Cobbitty NSW). In 1833 Charles married James' mother a widow named Mary Hanson (she had arrived in 1828 on the Borneo with a son - Joseph Hanson).

In the late 1830's Joseph Hanson travelled to the Upper Murray and was later followed by a 13 year old James. They took up the Nariel Run on behalf of Charles Wheeler. Charles and Mary followed accompanied by the rest of their children (Sarah, Mary Ann, Charles, William, Alice and George). Alice married TB Waters another famous Corryong pioneer. James and Joseph later take up the Colac Colac run. Colac Colac was owned by the Wheeler family for many years.

In 1876 the license was held by Joseph Hanson and James Wheeler and the half yearly license fee was £93 15 00

Where did the name Adjie come from

Adjin is the local word for water. Colac Colac seems to be based on 'klack klack', the name for a locust

The original aboriginal owners

The first selectors


Original neighbouring properties





Just south of the Murray River and near Corryong

What was Adjie like in the late 1870's

Postal route from Kiewa to Towong via Bungoonie, Mitta Mitta, Talangatta, Koetong, Wabba, Cudiewa, Corryong School, Colac Colac - Crawford & Co

Links to the KellyGang

What happened at Adjie after the time of the KellyGang

What is happening at Adjie today