One of the original properties in the Kelly Country
History at Begary before the KellyGang
BIGAREA or BEGGARY (Co, Benambra).It is situated on the left bank of the Indi River, south of Towong.
Robert Mason was the first to settle in 1837. In 1838, he took his bride to the property. Their first child was born in 1839, was christened Robert John, and was the first white child born on the Upper Murray. Unfortunately he only survived two years. His grave is still marked by a willow tree near the homestead.
In 1845, Mason transferred to John Collins, (15,360 acres) and in 1850, it passed to John and William Collins. Later in the same year, they sold to James Ford. In 1853, T. H. Bardwell, of Oberne, is gazetted as the holder of 16,000 acres, equal to carrying 2912 sheep. In 1854, again Messrs. W. and M. Hervey held it in conjunction with Adgie and Corryong. McCormack and Sons were in possession in I861, at a rent of £10.
In 1862, W. ONeil is given as the holder of 15,360 acres of 4th class land. In 1863, Henry McIllree occupied it, though the lease still stood in the name of O'Neil, even as late as 1871, when the rent was £47/10/-.
By 1878, P. and J. McCormack were associated with W. O'Neil in the holding, but 1879 had transferred the lease to the Manager of the Bank, of Australasia.
Where did the name Begary come from
From Be-aga-ree- the red earth used by the native-, to ornament their bodies.
The original aboriginal owners
The first selectors
What was Begary like in the late 1870's
Links to the KellyGang
Rivers Creeks and Hills near Begary
It is situated on the left bank of the Indi River, on the Murray River east of Corryong
What happened at Arcadia after the time of the KellyGang
What is happening at Arcadia today