Bontherambo Plains

From KellyGang
Jump to: navigation, search

One of the original properties in the Kelly Country

Nearest towns



History at Bontherambo Plains before the KellyGang

First taken up in 1838 by George and William Faithfull.

It was licensed to the Rev Joseph Docker later in 1838. The run was bounded in the west by the Ovens River district line of 12 1/2 miles river frontage from the Port Phillip Road to within half a mile of the station of Joseph Bould; on the north by a 13 mile line drawn from that station to Black Dog Creek, one mile east of J Gullifer's station, thence on the north east by Black Dog Creek to the Port Phillip Road 8 miles adjoining the runs of WF Baker and Agnes Reid. The run was about 100,000 acres. !!MISSING

In 1876 the license was held by Charles James Read and the half yearly license fee was £287 10 00 , one of the largest fee

Where did the name Bontherambo Plains come from

The original aboriginal owners

The run is near the north boundary of the Pangurang. They often used to hold corroborees on an island in the lagoon below the home stead

The first selectors



Original neighbouring properties

Ovens Crossing Place

What was Bontherambo Plains like in the late 1870's

Mail deliveries between Wangaratta and Bontherambo (Docker's Plains)

The proposed Springs railway station should be called Bontherambo (Argus10/2/73)

Links to the KellyGang

The KellyGang knew this counrty well. The run had good horses. It was close to Murray River and the Victoria New South Wales boarder

Rivers Creeks and Hills near Bontherambo Plains

What happened at Bontherambo Plains after the time of the KellyGang

What is happening at Bontherambo Plains today