From KellyGang
Jump to: navigation, search

Laceby, the squatting run

...a place in the



One of the squatting run in the Kelly Country

Nearest towns

Wangaratta to the north

Glenrowan to the south west

History at Laceby before the KellyGang

First taken up by overlanders from New South Wales in 1837 to 1840 including Thomas Chapman Could have been held between 1839 and 1846 by Charles Cropper . (25,600 Acres ) In about 1854 when much of Laceby was selected the run was owned by Moore.

Brown and Co had Laceby in 1867 (Argus12/10/66)

In 1876 the license was owned by Hector Norman Simson, ? acres, £22/10 license fee half year

Where did the name Laceby come from

The original aboriginal owners

The first selectors

In 1854 the first blocks were sold. They ranged in size from 50 to 286 acres

In 1879 John M Morrison, recieved 239a 3r 25p, Alex Quinn, 106a 2r 5, Mary E Vincent 24a 0r 33p

Most of Laceby seleced by 1867 (Argus12/10/66)



Original neighbouring properties

Ovens Crossing Place


Oxley Plains


What was Laceby like in the late 1870's

Hector Simpson bred horses at Laceby

In 1877 a school was opened with CH Cecil as the teacher

Links to the KellyGang

Brown, a squatter at Laceby, charged Const Flood with going in amongst his horses and disturbing them. The matter was investigation by Mr. Barkly. Const Flood was not happy, Mr. Barkly very imperiously would not let him cross-examine the witness or bring a person to disprove the statements, and he recommended Flood be removed from the district. (RC12620) See also the Jerilderie Letter [[[The Complete Inner History of the KellyGang and their Pursuers (7)|JJK]])

Patrick Henneasy lived at Laceby(See evidence in Ned Kelly's committal hearing (Age10/8/1880)(Argus10/8/80))

Rivers Creeks and Hills near Laceby

What happened at Laceby after the time of the Kelly Gang

What is happening at Laceby today

See also Graham Jones, Memories of Oxley