|Side of Authority
This page contains content from police and those who supported authority.
in Coburg, a northern suburb of Melbourne see also Melbourne Gaol
Pentridge (the old name for Coburg) prison started as a stockade to receive sixteen prisoners from the overcrowded Melbourne Gaol in 1850. They were used to build Sydney Road.
The first superintendent of the stockade was Mr Samuel Barrow.
In the period 1857–64 the stockade was transformed into a typical Pentonville-type prison with cells for each prisoner.
Importance of Pentridge
Photograph For many years Pentridge was the main prison in Victoria
What was Pentridge like in the late 1870s
By 1870 there were 650 prisoners and 100 staff.
Average age of prisoners (Argus12/11/79)
Doctor James Reed
Mr Akehurst Magistrate (Killmore31/8/1876)
Links to the KellyGang
Graves came to the conclusion that the whereabouts of the KellyGang was known to prisoners in Pentridge prior to the Wombat murders, and that the police by that means or some others gained a knowledge of where they were. (RC15529)
Correspondence with prisoners. (Argus2/12/78)
Have you visited
What to see
What happened at the Pentridge after the time of the Kelly Gang
In May 1997 the northern half of the prison was officially closed
What is happening at the Pentridge today
Much of the area of the old Prison is being turned into a housing estate KellyGang