From KellyGang
Jump to: navigation, search

One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country

Nearest towns

Wangaratta to the north

Glenrowan to the south west

History at Taminick before the KellyGang

First taken up by overlanders from New South Wales in 1837 to 1840. In the early 1850s by Benjamin Warby (23,000 acres). In 1865 Taminick was still owned by Ben Warby.

Spicer and Cowell and the use of dummies (Argus7/2/74)

McVean (McBean)(Ensign12/1/1875)

In 1876 the license was owned by the Bank of New South Wales, 19,290? acres,

And Taminick Plains was owned by William Newcomen, 19,290? acres, £93/10 half year license fee

At the time of the search in the Warby Ranges, after the Stringy Bark murders it was owned by Newcomen.(Newcombe?) (RC17285)(RC13061)

Where did the name Taminick come from

The original aboriginal owners

The first selectors

Robert Hoysted horse trainer (Ensign4/10/1872)(Ensign25/4/1873)

Allegation of using dummies (Argus7/2/74) (Argus23/2/74)



Original neighbouring properties

Springs Station
Ovens Crossing Place

What was Taminick like in the late 1870's

In 1874 the Benalla Land Enquiry investigated cases involving the use of dummies to get selections on the Taminick Run

Links to the KellyGang

Daniel Morgan visited Taminick on the day before he died in 1865

On 10/11/1878 Insp Brook Smith and Const Johnson's search party followed the KellyGang 's tracks for about 15 miles on Taminick Station (RC12460)

The tracks were traced within about a mile, or perhaps less than about a mile of Taminick, and then they turned to the left, and ceased four tracks, and got into two. (Argus14/11/78)(RC17285)

The fires that the police searching the Warby Ranges saw may have been caused by the sheppherds on Taminick. (RC5871)

Rivers Creeks and Hills near Taminick

What happened at Taminick after the time of the KellyGang

What is happening at Taminick today

See also Graham Jones, Memories of Oxley