From KellyGang
Jump to: navigation, search

One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country

History at Tatonga before the KellyGang

Hume and Hovell described the land North East of Tatonga as “a level forest, with here and there a small creek, flowing towards the North West. The soil excellent, and the trees numerous--a stunted species of blue gum.” The Broken River they recorded as a “ - strong stream, thickly bordered with reeds.”

Run was originally part of Bungoona up until the mid 1860's (35,520 acres). In 1871 it was sold to Sloane and Robert Jeffrey and they sold it so that it was owned by George Temple in 1876.

In 1874 John Graves was manager. At that time Emu and The Springs were part of Tatonga. (RC15488)

In 1876 the license to Tatonga was held by William Sloane and Robert Johnathon Jeffray,? acres, license fee half year £34 16 11


Map Where did the name Tatonga come from

The original aboriginal owners

The first selectors

Eman Gunn, a relative of the Kelly's lived near Tatonga. (RC15489)

William Tanner took up 44a 4p at Myrhee and Tatong in 1879 (OMA5/4/1879)

Original neighbouring properties

Emu Station

What was Tatonga like in the late 1870's

Mr Graves got trout fingerlings from Tasmania and introduced them to Tatong in 1874

Michael Purcell, a laborer (Ensign9/3/1875)

Links to the KellyGang

Mr Graves was manager of Tatonga in about 1870 when it included comprising Emu and the Springs. He was Kellys neighbour.

William Tanner was thrown off his selection on Tatong because he was a sympathizer (RC3553) Patrick Quinn said that there were some horses belonging to James Whitty, Robert Jeffery, and John Farrell taken. Jeffery came to Quinn, and asked him to find out where the mare was taken he had lost. During the time this other horse was taken I saw those horses of Jeffery's and James Whitty's passing up to the waterhole with some horses owned by Patrick Quinn. Quinn made enquiries and found out that those horses were taken up to the Murray and that Billy Cook was connected in the taking of them.(RC17691) see (Argus2/5/78)

A party of police were put on the boundary between Tatong and Kilfera, at Power's Crossing, in January 1879 after the [[../../things/K_kellys/K_KellyGang.html|KellyGang]] had been cited at Greta. They were to watch at night. (RC2030)

Rivers Creeks and Hills near Tatonga

What happened at Tatonga after the time of the KellyGang

There was a Tatonga to Benalla horse drawn tram way. It was mainly used to take logs to the sawmill in Benalla. Other stops were at Lima, Karn and Mullam

What is happening at Tatonga today