From KellyGang
Jump to: navigation, search

Tallygaroopna, (Talagaroopna) the property

...a place in the



One of the original properties in the Kelly Country

Nearest towns
Shepparton, Echuca

History at Tallygaroopna before the KellyGang

First taken in 1841 by Edward Knull and was 160,000 acres originally.

Katandra was cut off in 1848.

Other owners of Tallygaroopna included Hugh Glass 1854 See also (Argus8/7/65), Shelbourne Sheppard (gave his name to the town of Shepparton, (it was originally called Sheppard's Town), La Soeuf and Atkins 1854, Charles Ryan and Robert Hammond 1857, (Ryan and Hammond had a successful stock and station business in Melbourne) Alexander Brock and William Brokman? 1859, William V Fraser 1866, (Argus7/2/74)

In 1876 the license was owned by the National Bank ,36,500 acres, £55 half year license fee

See also [1].

The Tallygaroopna Homestead still commands sweeping views of the Goulburn River.

Where did the name Tallygaroopna come from

The original aboriginal owners

The effect of selectors

Tallygaroopna was broken up into small holdings in the 1870s,

Use of dummies? The Fraser family tried to protect their interests, but the authorities did not see it that way. (Argus7/2/74) (Ensign9/6/1874)



Original neighbouring properties


Pine Lodge Arcadia

Katandra Pine Lodge


What was Tallygaroopna like in the late 1870's

Selectors started to move into the area in the 1870s. The town of Katamatite was built on part of the run.

Hear what a visitor to the area had to say (Illustrated16/2/1880)

Links to the KellyGang

Rivers Creeks and Hills near Tallygaroopna

Goulburn river

What happened at Tallygaroopna after the time of the KellyGang

The small town of Tallygaroopna is near Shepparton and east of Bunbartha and Loch Garry.

Farming in the mainly focused on wheat growing until irrigation from the Yarrawonga main canal began in the district in 1939. Dairy farming increased from this time and was taken up on former wheat growing land.

What is happening at Tallygaroopna today