From KellyGang
Jump to: navigation, search


on road from Wodonga to the Kosciusko National Park, near Wodonga Beechworth Khancoban


Original settlement at Koetong

The original people of the area were the Pallanganmiddang Aborigines.

Variously, "Corryong" could be either the red clay used in ceremonies, a bandicoot, or a possum-skin belt. Apparently the first possibility is the closest to the original language word.

Importance of Corryong



What was Corryong like in the late 1870s

In 1875 Mr Miller transferred his store from Koetong to Corryong. The town was surveyed in 1879 and the first buildings went up in the early 1880's.

There were many gold mines in the area; see [1]

Facilities in Corryong in the late 1870s

'Population Hotels Churches Schools The school opened in 1872 [[../../things/C_community/C_bankt.html|Bank]] Main Streets Local Government Police Station ' Telegraph Office

Post Office Other things of interest

Links to the KellyGang

It is thought that the KellyGang passed near Corryong on their way to Jerilderie (OMA13/2/1879)

What happened at Corryong after the time of the KellyGang

Members of the Corryong community

What is happening at Corryong today