Quat Quatta

From KellyGang
Jump to: navigation, search

Quat Quatta, the squatting run

...a place in the



One of the original squatting runs in the Kelly Country

Nearest towns

History at Quat Quatta before the KellyGang

First taken up by David Reid in 1840 but he abandoned it.

Thomas Hyland (Hyland of Borthers) took it up in 1841. Thomas Hyland passed it on to Matthew Hyland in 1847 who sold it 1858 to Greene.

It was purchased by Messers George and James Day and D P Keogh.

In 1860 litigation finally defined the boundaries of Quat Quatta and adjoining properties. In 1865 Donald Ferguson was the lessee.

In 1870 Samuel Bowler did not pay the lease fee and loss possession.

The run was sold to Mr Swift of Tumut but it seems that he sold it in short time to John Ettershank.

The place was then owned by the Bank of New South Wales in 1875 and sold to Hon J A Wallace (he was a gold buyer who often carrying as much as two thousand ounces on a led horse without any guards) (Chomley) (Sadleir)


Map Where did the name Quat Quatta come from

The cry of a frog or plenty fish

The original aboriginal owners

The first selectors

Original neighbouring properties

urray Rive

What was Quat Quatta like in the late 1870's

Links to the KellyGang

Quat Quatta was used by the KellyGang as they 'traded' horses and cattle backwards and forwards across the River Murray from Victoria and New South Wales (RC1041)

Rivers Creeks and Hills near Quat Quatta

On the northern side of the Murray River

In the early years ther was a major sandbank on the Murray at Quat Quarta that stopped paddle steamers reaching Albury.

What happened at Quat Quatta after the time of the KellyGang

What is happening at Quat Quatta today